Monday, July 23, 2012

Childbirth Class

Justin and I finished out our Childbirth Class at the hospital yesterday afternoon. We left home early to grab lunch before class and ate at Stackhouse Burgers down the street from the hospital. Justin eats there with his co-workers from time to time and enjoys it, so he wanted me to try it out. It was really good!! I definitely recommend it for anyone that spends any lengthy amount of time at Baylor or if you're in the area. It's just down the street on Gaston at Hall in a little house. 

Our class started out with a tour of all the places we'll be in the hospital while having the baby. We were shown where to park and where to go when the big moment arrives. We got to see a labor/delivery room, where the OR is in case of a C-Section, the waiting room for family, the NICU, the Postpartum floor, and the nursery. We're really pleased with everything Baylor has done the past 5 years or so to make the birth process feel more "at home" than feeling like you're sick in the hospital. Their rooms are very nice and actually have a nice sized bed for Justin to sleep on!

We then had an anesthesiologist come to the class to talk to us about epidurals. He was very knowledgable and discussed the entire history of how anesthesia came about to be used. It was interesting, but his voice was very soothing and I think he made the whole class sleepy. We didn't seem to come out of it after he left either! Haha!! He made it much less scary of an option if needed. After he left we talked about other types of pain control with our teacher. Justin and I learned that we actually do have quite a few more options than we originally thought.

We discussed C-Sections later in the class and watched 4 birth videos. They were all different and showed how births don't always go according to plan. It was interesting to see how each birth differed and how every intervention was used to try to get the babies out. It helped us see what the progression of things are and what types of things to expect if labor just does not progress.

We took a quiz...and Justin answered just about all the questions right without having to look back at our notes or the book. He's ready for this baby to come!! :) We also discussed birth plans and were given guidelines on how to write one and talk to our doctor about it. When it came time for the relaxation activity, Justin and I quietly slipped out the door and went home. After last week's activity and us not being able to relax at all, we figured it was pointless for us to go through it again. That and we left our pillows and blanket at home. Oops!! 

I guess we're as prepared as we're gonna be for when that time comes!! Now it's just a waiting game on when the baby decides to come. We're hoping we are able to go another 4 weeks to the due date!! I'm definitely going to have to slow down and rest more though. Everyone that knows me knows how stubborn I am though and how hard it is for me to just sit here and do nothing while others are doing everything for me. I do have some things lined up to keep me occupied while the baby's room is being painted though since I've been told I can't do that. I'm hoping that working on things for the room while painting is happening will keep my mind off how much I really want to be in there working with everyone!! 

Wednesday night we have our last baby related class. We decided last minute to sign up for the breastfeeding class. It is taught by one of the hospital's lactation consultants and since I'm having a hard time finding a time to get in with our Pediatrician's lactation consultant before the baby's born, we thought it would be a good idea. We want to learn as much as we can to give the baby the best chance for breastfeeding as possible!! I will definitely take advantage of our Pediatrician's lactation consultant and her classes as well after the baby is born. So check back toward the end of the week to see what all we learn in breastfeeding class!!

No comments: