Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Birthday Celebration

First off I need to start by saying Happy Birthday to my new brother-in-law, Salamander!!! Wishing him a great birthday with his family, my sister, and my mom in American Samoa!! Hope you have a great day Mr. T!!!

Now on to how we celebrated Justin's birthday on Friday and the gifts I got him.

Justin decided he wanted me to get some of our friends and his immediate family together for dinner Friday night at one of our local little Mexican Food restaurants. We used to go to Pancho & Lefty's (or P&Ls for those in the know) with friends every Friday night. They have AMAZING margaritas and just ok food....but after you drink their margaritas the quality of food doesn't matter. Haha!! It has been months since we have been there so Justin wanted to spend his birthday back at one of our favorite places. We had a fun time at dinner catching up with everyone. Afterward everyone came back to our house to hang out some more. They guys played Rocksmith on PS3 for a while, we watched the Ranger game, listened to some of Justin's albums on the record player, the girls did some brainstorming on what all to do to the nursery, and spent lots of time talking. We had a good time with lots of laughs.


Here are the cupcakes I made for Justin's birthday...yellow cake with chocolate frosting, his favorite. At the end of the night, the only thing left was "Birth". We thought it was funny, whether intentional or not, that the word BIRTH was left.

The night ended with everyone having a jumping contest. I did not participate in this activity...there is no way this pregnant belly would even attempt to jump unnecessarily!! I had a great time laughing at everyone else's expense though!!

Justin and I had done P90X (a workout series) a while back and our tape from doing a stationary jump was still up on the wall. Someone asked what it was for and after explaining it, everyone thought it sounded like fun to have a contest. It was quite comical, especially for those of us that had not been drinking! This is the result and what my wall still looks like. I'm just thankful no one made a hole in the wall!!


I wish I had video'd this because it was really funny to see how competitive everyone was.

Here is the gift Justin's parents gave him:


A while back Justin and I stopped in at Popcorn Papa in Rockwall. They had an entire wall of different brands of sodas. Justin said that he would like to go in sometime and buy one of every root beer they sold to try them all. (If you can't tell, he loves root beer.) So, for his birthday his parents decided to get him one of each of the root beers that Popcorn Papa sells. I went with his Mom to help her get them all and we had a great time there. We actually met the owners and sat and talked with them for about 20 minutes while they got all of this together. I was telling the lady that is one of the owners that Justin wants to rate each root beer so he'll know which ones are his favorite. She was so excited and asked that he bring in a copy of his ratings so she can put it up next to all the sodas. He's pretty excited about getting to drink all of these over time!!

I did not take pictures of all of the gifts I got Justin for his birthday this year. He's kind of hard to buy for because he typically buys stuff as he wants it. I decided that rather than buying him one large item, I would buy him multiple small items of things he wouldn't typically buy for himself that I knew he wanted. 

For work, I bought him a desk lamp and some flavored teas. He has been working late a lot this month and was wanting a lamp to put on his desk for when there are few people left in the office. He has also gotten into trying out some different kinds of teas that his work offers in the break room. I bought him a couple sample packages of flavored teas that were not in the break room for him to try to see what types he likes best.

He has been needing new shorts and refuses to buy them when we're out, so I bought him a new pair of shorts. I also got him some clothing he can dress our baby in soon:


For a girl


For a boy

He was surprised at how small they are. :)

Something he has really been wanting to do is get some of the Lord of the Rings edition Legos to put together. We are a house that loves Lord of the Rings, so when he found out these were coming out he was really excited. I got him the Gandalf Arrives set for him to start with and he had it put together by the next morning. :)


Passing by this on our kitchen table makes me really want to watch the movies again. I may have to talk him into setting some time aside to do that!!

The final 2 things I got him are 2 albums for his record collection. I had stopped in at Half Price Books earlier in the week and while searching through their never ending supply came across this one:


He really likes Bohemian Rhapsody among other Queen songs. He didn't have anything by Queen yet so I couldn't pass it up. It has some really great songs on it with it being their Greatest Hits. I can't wait to listen to it. 

Funny story about the other one I got him!! His "Holy Grail" album he's been looking for since he started his collection is Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon. Every time we go somewhere, we make it a point to look for that one. I actually found it at Half Price Books and was soooo excited to give it to him for his birthday. It killed me to have to wait all week for him to open it. He was really excited when he saw it and bragged about it a lot at dinner Friday night. 


When we got back to our house after dinner, some of our friends had brought gifts for him as well. He opened David and La Donna's gift and they had bought him a new Dark Side of the Moon album. Great minds think alike!! We both offered to take ours back for him to get something else, but he said he wants to frame the one I got him since it came out the year the album did and that will allow him to play theirs since it is new. Haha!! 

At the end of the night, he said he had a great birthday so I would consider it a success!! Pretty soon we'll be adding a new birthdate to our family and we're both getting really excited about that as well. Time is going by way too fast though!!

3 comments:

Perfectly Jenn said...

whew so much going on in this post! I loved the gifts you got him, they're very "him"!
And I agree that he is hard to buy for so visa giftcard to the rescue! ;)
I'm really excited about adding another birthday to our family and I would love to share mine if Squishy wants to come early :)

Leslie said...

You're smart with the gift card. For some reason though, I'm not sure one would have come across as great if it came from his wife though. Haha!!

I'm glad you're ok with sharing your birthday...now I don't have to ask your permission if something happens early. ;)

sherryhome76 said...

I'm in awe that the cupcakes left were "BIRTH", that couldn't happen again, could it...Chilling, yet Amazing!! A video of all those silly, competitive people hitting the wall with tape to see who could jump the highest would have been a YouTube sensation!! :o) I couldn't stop laughing, good old fashion entertainment. He's so lucky to have you Leslie, who else would be so excited about watching the movies again. And "Thanks for helping me with the RootBeers", that was so much fun with you! Getting to visit the people at the store was lots of fun too! I'm ready to go visit again. The One-sies (spelling?) are sooooo CUTE! I can't believe you two are going to be parents, it's unbelievable that my Son will be a Daddy, PROUD tears! You threw a GREAT Birthday party for him, you're an awesome wife for Justin, just like you'll be an fantastic Mom for Squishy!!! Love you!!!