Thursday, July 4, 2013

6th Day in Galveston

When we woke up Thursday morning, I still could not keep my eyes open. Justin took Alyson to watch TV and let me sleep a little longer. She ended up falling asleep with him while they were watching TV. We cooked a big, late breakfast and took our time getting things ready to go to the beach. It was pretty crowded at the beach with it being a holiday. Justin took Alyson out in the water and they played for a little bit. While they were out there, a car got stuck driving in the sand. Men from all over came to help them push it to get it back on the packed sand. I was entertained watching it. Alyson and I played in the sand and made another friend at the beach named Sandra. She was so cute. She would chase Alyson’s toys if the waves took them away. She kept filling Alyson’s buckets up with water for her. And she made us “ice cream”...chocolate even!! Mmmmm!! :) When it was time for Sandra to go eat lunch, Alyson and I washed off and went to the shade so she could take a nap. I people watched while she napped....I could sit and watch people all day. I just love seeing how different everyone is, yet deep down we’re all alike. As the tide started to go out I enjoyed watching the pelicans dive in the water for fish and the seagulls fighting over the hidden creatures in the bundles of seaweed washing ashore. It’s so cool being away from the environment you’re used to living in and seeing so many beautiful things God has created. We take for granted daily all the beauty in our routine structured lives, but to have absolutely nothing to do but hold your sleeping child and take in all of God’s creations is a great blessing!! I hope to remember to take more time when we get back home to continue doing this on a daily basis and teach Alyson that no matter how busy she is, she really does need to stop and take a look around and thank God for all He has made for us. 
When Alyson woke up from her nap, we all went for a walk down the beach. Some people down the way had caught a 4 foot black tip shark. It was really cool to see it, but they had killed it and cut off the tail. After thanking God for everything I had been watching before, it made me sick to see they didn’t put it back and allow it to live and grow bigger. So sad.

We stayed at the beach a little while longer, then came back to the house to clean up. We had ribs for dinner (which were yummy!!) and lounged around for a while. Justin and I did our yearly tradition and watched the Nathan’s Hot Dog eating contest. Joey Chestnut set another world record and won for his 7th year in a row!! My Mom said it made her sick to her stomach to watch them cramming hot dogs and buns down their throats without chewing, so she didn’t watch it. Haha!!

When it started to get time to get dark, Justin and I loaded Alyson up in the car to go try to find her some fireworks to see for her first 4th of July. We didn’t want to drive back to Galveston because of the crowds, but we knew there weren’t any professional firework shows down where we were staying either. We ended up driving to a fireworks stand and buying some fireworks to set off at the house for her. The guy at the stand recommended some ground stuff for Alyson’s age so we got those. And of course Justin needed some fun ones for him too. :) Alyson LOVED the ones that stayed on the ground and sprayed all different colors and made noises. She was scared of the big ones that went up in the air. She never cried, but she would hold tight to me and hide her face. 


Overall, we had a great day celebrating America on Alyson’s first 4th of July!!

No comments: