Friday, August 24, 2012

40 week appointment

We are at 40 weeks and 4 days today. Our stubborn little Squishy likes his/her world a whole lot right now and doesn't want to join the real world. Can't say I blame him/her!! ;)

Only dilated to 1 1/2 cm this week, but at least it's a little improvement rather than nothing at all!! I haven't had any real contractions since Tuesday night. My doctor stripped the membranes today to see if that helps things progress any...we will see!! They did another sonogram to check fluid levels around the baby and everything was perfect. As much as we're ready for our little one to be here and as anxious as we've been, we're very pleased he/she continues to be healthy. In the end, that's all that matters...no matter how uncomfortable I get - that's what I have to keep telling myself!!

My doctor has said I cannot work any more. My ankles started swelling Wednesday afternoon when I left work and have just gotten bigger and bigger when I'm up on my feet or even sitting without my legs elevated. See, this is what they looked like when I got home from the doctor this afternoon and I hardly walked any at work today. It's just from not keeping them up.


No fun, but part of being pregnant. So today I worked 1/2 a day and went to the doctor this afternoon and it ended up being my last day. Monday while everyone starts the first day, if I'm not holding my baby I'll be here at home with my feet up on pillows...like I'll be all weekend!! I'm ok with it though. I left everything caught up at work, so I feel that I've done my part and I'm not going to worry about it until I get back. Having to stay home has come at a good time...I've started to get tired a lot and sleepy all the time toward the end of the week. I'm gonna just enjoy my last few days of having no worries and napping all day long if I want!! :) I know those days will end really soon.

If baby does not come this weekend, we will be induced on Tuesday. She really wants me to go in Monday night to have Cervidil done. It's a "cervical ripener" they use overnight before starting medicine to induce contractions the next morning. The problem is the hospital does not have an opening for us to go in Monday night right now. They will check back with the hospital on Monday to see if someone that's currently scheduled for that has already delivered, then we'll have a spot. If not, we'll go in on Tuesday morning and start the process then. So, prayers that if baby does not come this weekend someone else will have theirs so we can get the process rolling Monday night.

Justin and I have tried all the advice we've been given to get labor going naturally. We went walking at the mall for quite a while earlier in the week, I've eaten spicy foods, Chinese food, among many others suggestions. My doctor suggested today drinking raspberry leaf tea, so I'm currently doing that. The only thing I haven't done is drink castor oil and I'm not that desperate yet. One of the side effects is bowel cramping in addition to the diarrhea and that just does not sound pleasant. I'm not that uncomfortable to go to those lengths just yet. We'll see what the weekend brings, but having an end in sight if baby continues to be stubborn is good enough for us for now. 

If anything happens over the weekend, I will try to remember to update on here. If I forget or don't have time, I know word will flow through the grapevine. I can't believe this time next week we'll be home with our baby....life is definitely about to change - for the better!!

1 comment:

CindyE said...

I can sympathize with you on your feet and legs. Keep them up is so much easier to say than do sometimes. We're off to San Antonio in the morning for Paula's mom memorial service. Back on Monday. I'll forgive you if Squishy comes before we are back! Love you much.