Tuesday, August 7, 2012

38 week appointment

This morning I had my 38 week check up. I can't believe that means 2 weeks until the due date!! Some days it just seems unreal. My doctor is out on vacation this week, so I saw one of the other doctors today. She was very nice and had a lot of good things to say! Baby continues to grow healthy!! Still haven't dilated any yet and my cervix is still pretty far back. She did say that I'm 50% effaced though and baby is at a -2 station. I know not everyone knows what that means...pretty much, baby is just continuing to slowly get ready to come out! She was feeling the baby and how it's positioned and made the comment that the baby is wide across my belly. I told her it's been that way for a while now and I feel like he/she just keeps running out of room. She said I measured exactly where I should be for this week, but that from her experience going off the feel of the baby...it feels to be about 8 pounds to her. She asked if my doctor said anything about a sonogram and I told her we will have one next Friday. She agrees that's the best thing to do to check up on the size of the baby to know how big of a baby we should be expecting and discuss if the birth plan should change. She said from here on the baby should gain about 1/2 a pound a week. Yikes!!

I haven't started having any real contractions yet. The Braxton Hicks have picked up a lot in frequency and intensity just the past couple days though and I feel exhausted all the time. I've been out of the house a couple times this week to return things and pick up last minute items we need to finish the baby's room and it just takes everything out of me to even walk around a store...not to mention the heat!! Squishy continues to move and kick a lot, but I can tell space is starting to become an issue. We still would like to hold out until late next week though since my doctor is out on vacation and won't be back until Thursday. But, if it happens before then...it's not a big deal. We know this baby's gonna come when he/she is ready to and we're fine with that.

I think I'm at the point of starting to be ready for him/her to come out and get back to being able to breathe again. I never thought I'd say that...I've loved being pregnant!! I guess everyone gets to that point at some time though. For now, I think I've decided that I'm good with what's been done to the nursery and organizing the baby's things. I'm gonna get some help with hanging everything on the walls and I'll be happy with it until the baby gets here. From here on out I think my days will be spent relaxing, reading, and resting!!

No comments: