Students at work are starting to notice my belly. Many comment on me being pregnant (mostly girls) so it's been fun that people are starting to notice. I had a really awkward encounter today though and realized there are proper and improper ways to discuss a woman's pregnancy. Asking "When are you due?" or "How far along are you?" are completely appropriate questions to ask!! My interaction today just made my face turn red!!
A student (boy) that I haven't seen in a while came into the clinic. I'm pretty close with his family...I had some of his siblings when I was a nurse in an Elementary school. We talked about how it's been a while since I've seen him. He said, "I didn't even know you were pregnant. When did you get pregnant?" I know that's an innocent enough question...on top of that coming from a boy, I'm sure he was just trying to show interest and make conversation.
Let me share how it came across though. "What is the date you conceived?" I fumbled around for a few seconds trying to figure out how to answer his question. Did he want an exact date? The other nurse with me perceived it the same way and we both ended up getting tickled. Poor kid just wanted to make conversation and both nurses end up laughing at the situation hysterically. My face was bright red so we explained to him how far along I am and when I'm due. I guess that was enough of an answer for him because he didn't ask any other questions. We realized after he left that he was probably just trying to figure out how long it has been since he's been into the clinic and seen me. Hahaha!!!
So lesson to all....
NEVER ask a pregnant woman when she got pregnant. And just to play it safe, be 100% sure that a woman is pregnant before you decide to comment on her appearance. Haha!!
3 comments:
DO you get random people wanting to touch your belly yet???? Steves favorite thing to do towards the end when I clearly was about to pop and people asked, was to tell them I wasn't pregnant. I never could keep a straight face so I just looked down, ha!
Haha, that would be funny. I bet you got some interesting responses :)
I have had a few people I don't know want to touch. I don't mind people I know touching, but the people I don't know just amaze me. It would never cross my mind to touch someone's belly that I don't know.
Post a Comment