Tuesday, May 8, 2012

24 week appointment

I guess I've been busy...that and I just keep forgetting to post anything. When I get home I'm usually tired and forget to get on my computer to give everyone an update.

Last Thursday I had the afternoon off work. I didn't eat that morning so I could go around lunchtime to the place that draws labs. I had my 1 hour glucose tolerance test done. I had to drink a bottle of orange flavored glucose then sit in the waiting room for an hour and wait to have my blood drawn. The purpose of the test is to make sure I don't have gestational diabetes. My blood sugar level after the hour of waiting will let my doctor know if everything is ok or if I need to go back for a more extensive 3 hour test. I forgot to call today to find out the results, so I'll have to call tomorrow. Hopefully all is well and we continue easily on this great journey!!

Later that afternoon I went to my 24 week doctor appointment. I finally gained weight this time so everyone, especially Justin, was happy!! My blood pressure is still looking great. The baby's heartbeat was VERY loud and strong. I just love hearing that sound. It's one of the best sounds in the world...melts my heart. (I'll have to get on Justin's computer to put the sound to a picture or something so I can upload it on here.) This week marked the point where my belly gets measured each time I go in. It measured 24 1/2 weeks...so we are still right on track!! I'm also at the point where I go back for visits every 3 weeks now, rather than every 4 like it's been previously. I can't believe we're already at this point. It seemed like just last time she was telling us this would happen "down the road" and we're already here. Time is just flying by!! I'm also at the point where she wants me to start doing kick counts each day...just to make sure I'm aware of the baby's movements and that they stay normal. I'm supposed to count 10 kicks and they should happen within an hour. So far so good....well, when I can keep track of how many kicks I've felt. Haha!! I have been having some pain in my right butt cheek periodically when I'm walking around or stand from sitting. Over the last month, the pain has become progressively worse so I talked it over with my doctor at this visit. Unfortunately, the baby is on my sciatic nerve and that's what causes the occasional pain. And again unfortunately, there is not much that can be done for it. Just a part of pregnancy....(sigh)

We had scheduled a 4D sonogram for our immediate family to attend to see the baby on May 19th. The facility we chose required me to get a release signed from my doctor. I brought it up at this last appointment and we had a long discussion over it. Basically, she said that 4D technology was developed originally in the hopes that there could be earlier detection of problems with babies in the womb. It didn't end up being as good as everyone thought it would be. Currently the high risk ob clinics don't even use 4D technology anymore because the 2D is just as reliable. The 4D sonogram uses higher frequency than the 2D does, and it really hasn't been around long enough for studies to indicate if this is a harm to the baby or not. My doctor said she was fine with us having it done as a one time thing, but didn't recommend it to be done multiple times throughout the pregnancy. All that being said, we got into the actual facilities that provide these services. They are sonogram only places and by law they have to work under doctor orders to do one. Many of these facilities do not have a doctor on staff, so their way of getting around it is to have each client get "doctor approval" when in reality they are using the doctor's signature as their doctor they are working under. For a long time many doctors did not know this was happening and once they found out, they were outraged. I completely understand where she's coming from. I would not want my license on the line for someone to go have something done that I have no knowledge of and am not even present for. Just seems like a liability. These facilities also do not typically have anyone on site that can do counseling if something is found to be wrong with the baby. In the case that happens, the woman is just sent back to "talk it over" with her doctor. The American Academy of Obstetrics and Gynecology now recommends that elective sonograms (such as the 4D one we were planning) not be used during pregnancy. So after this lengthy discussion, she would not sign the release...and we completely understand why. Justin and I talked it over, and although we could have found a facility that did not require doctor approval, we decided to not have it done. As cool as it could be to see the baby's face, we're also worried other parts might accidentally be seen and we would be really upset if we found out what the baby is. Sooooo, we've decided to just wait another 3 months to see our baby face to face for the first time. (I can't believe there are only 3 months left!!)

This is the latest update on the baby!! Next appointment is May 24th, the day after our first baby shower thrown by my work!!

No comments: