Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Confusing News

Last Friday afternoon when I got home from picking up Alyson, I turned on the news to watch the coverage of the chemical plant fire happening in Garland. 

I started out watching the news on channel 8 and another story they were covering caught my eye. It was about a mother and her 22 month old daughter that drowned in their car that sank in a pond after the car crashed through a fence surrounding the pond. It happened in the Ft. Worth area and the reporter interviewed a man in a red shirt that said he was the woman's estranged husband and father of the baby. He said they had been separated for 2 years, but she was planning to move back in with him in the near future. It caught my eye because he was an older man and I found it interesting that he was the father of such a young girl.

At 5:30 on channel 8, the news switched over to national news so I changed to channel 4 to continue watching the fire coverage. Not long after I changed the channel they started doing a report on the same story from above. The location they were filming was the exact same, the name of the mother and her daughter were the same. What was NOT the same was the man they interviewed as being her husband and the father of the little girl. This was a younger man in a dark colored shirt and they showed his mother, the baby's grandmother, who watched the little girl every day. The mother and baby had just left the grandmother's house when the wreck happened.

I was so confused as to which one was the actual husband!! I was able to find the links to the news reports over the weekend to show my family...and they were just as confused as I was. I would share the links, but the channel 8 link no longer has the video of their report and their news article has been changed. It no longer has any mention of the older man in the red shirt...in fact it doesn't even mention a husband at all. It does now make reference to the grandmother. I guess they made a big oops and had to take down the wrong information. I wonder if they made any mention of the mistake on the air!! 

No comments: