Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Gallbladder Update

I got the report late this afternoon from my doctor on the results of the tests he's done to check out my gallbladder. All my lab results came back normal, as well as the sonogram. 

The doctor said I could take Prilosec to see if that helps BUT it's not recommended for nursing mothers. So, that option is out. He also said if the symptoms persist I could have a HIDA scan done. It is a nuclear medicine study where they inject a radioactive isotope into a vein and watch it go from the liver through the gallbladder to the intestines. If it does not pass through, there could be an obstruction or it could be a gallbladder dysfunction. If it passes through normally, then everything is functioning properly. I have done some research on how the radioactive isotope affects the infants of nursing mothers and there is very inconsistent data. Some people say it's ok because the molecules are too big to pass through breast milk or the amount injected is so small it will not affect the baby. Others say the breast milk should be pumped then dumped, but the time frame varies between all experts. Anywhere from 6 hours to 3 weeks. That just seems way too inconsistent to chance to me. How do I know which of the following people has the correct information and do I put my trust in that since theories out there are so widespread: the radiologist, or my general care doctor, or my OB/GYN, or the lactation consultant, or Alyson's pediatrician? The last thing my doctor said was to follow up with him in 2 weeks.

So I'm at a crossroads where I have to make a decision. Do I take the chance and go ahead and have the test done? Do I try to change my diet and see if that helps until I go back to see him? If I do have the test done and go to all the trouble of dealing with getting Alyson fed while continuing to try to keep my milk supply going, and the results come back normal to that as well I will be beyond frustrated. At this point in time I'm leaning toward trying to change my diet and suffer through it. I'm not having severe pain daily and that makes me wonder if it's truly my gallbladder or just something as simple as gas. I'm not supposed to start exercising yet, but I'm thinking maybe a leisurely walk around the block with Alyson along with better dietary choices would be the best path to take. Any thoughts?

1 comment:

Katanna said...

Sorry you are not feeling well. Alyson is so beautiful.