As many of you know, I have had daily headaches since the middle of August. I have had a couple doctors evaluate with a result of no relief. Yesterday I went to a neurologist that specializes in headaches. If you have any type of recurring headache, I HIGHLY recommend Dr. Herzog. I left feeling like there is actually hope in getting rid of this headache...at least on a daily basis. Just thought I would update everyone on what he said.
He has diagnosed me with chronic "transformed" migraine. Simply, it is a migraine that has lasted for 6 months. These headaches occur daily and tend to be a mixture of tension type headaches and migraine headaches. The pain associated with transformed migraines ranges from mild to moderate to severe, often touching on all severities in the same day.
Right now he has started me on a Medrol pack to try to "reboot" my system and stop the cycle of headaches. Along with that he prescribed Zanaflex. It's a muscle relaxant that is frequently used for multiple sclerosis. It should help out with the migraines, and as an added bonus the fibromyalgia! I take it nightly for now to see if it will help.
Saturday I am scheduled to have a MRA. It is the same process as a MRI, but they will be looking at the blood vessels in my brain. Lots of prayers are needed because I have to get back in that stupid machine. I hate claustrophobia...such a ridiculous fear. I'm not nervous about it yet. Right now I'm willing to do whatever it takes to make these headaches go away. I know it will hit me when the time comes to be shoved into that tube though. My appointment is at 1:45 on Saturday, so please keep me in your thoughts and prayers around that time...Justin too since he's the one that will be handling me!
My doctor is also requesting that insurance approve Botox therapy. He thinks I will be a good candidate for it. The Botox would be injected into my neck (I'm assuming) and works to alleviate migraines by reducing muscle tension. In turn that creates less strain on the nervous system. It would also make headaches that do occur be less severe by blocking pain receptors in nerve cells...that's the theory anyway.
So all of this is happening over the next couple weeks. I return for a follow up visit on March 22nd. Hopefully by then something will have helped. I'm worrying about the amount insurance will and will not cover for the MRA. We are still paying on the MRI. Justin tells me not to worry about it (I'm sure that doesn't help the headache at all) but it's still in the back of my mind. We will see. At the moment, I don't care what it costs to get rid of it. I'm willing to try almost anything at this point!! I will keep you updated as I know more. Thanks in advance for the prayers!!
3 comments:
Do they sedate you when you have the MRA? I am a friend of Jane's.
Leslie, I also heard that Dr. Herzog is very good. I have been seeing a neurologist for the past 3 years - Dr. Stuart Black - part of the Dallas Headache Association. He has been a lifesaver with my migraines! I will surely miss him now that we have moved, but he gave me a recommendation in this area. I too have had an MRA. Just close your eyes and listen to the music on the headphones. Bring your own if that helps. Good luck, and I will keep you in my prayers!
No, they did not sedate for the MRA.
Wendi, thanks for the prayers!! I wanted to see Dr. Black, but that office bills insurance as outpatient to Baylor. It was going to be too expensive to see him. I'm so thankful I found Dr. Herzog and he bills insurance as a specialist!! Hope you are enjoying your new house!!
Post a Comment