Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Bee

I am allergic to insect bites...ant, mosquito - doesn't matter - the area swells up and itches really bad. It's not as bad as it was when I was a kid. My whole limb would swell, and now it's just the area around the bite. I have never been stung by a bee or wasp and have a fear that if I ever do get stung I'll go into anaphylactic shock. Haha!! Not sure if it would happen, but I really don't want to find out.



A couple weeks ago, my husband came home from work and told me he was going to go out to mow the yard. I decided to work inside the house catching up on laundry, cleaning the kitchen, putting away all the dishes in the dishwasher, get dinner ready...all the 'wifely' duties. :) Justin had been outside for a while messing around in the garage and I forgot he was out there because I hadn't heard the mower. I went into our bathroom to pee (sorry for being so blunt, but I don't know how else to tell the story in a 'private' way!). As I start going I hear a buzzing. I start freaking out because I think the buzzing is coming from the toilet and I don't want my first time to be stung by a bee to be on my bare butt (how embarrassing would that be to show in the ER?)...and then I start thinking that if I stop breathing from an allergic reaction I won't be able to get outside fast enough to let Justin know I'm in danger of my throat swelling shut. So my quick reaction to prevent getting stung is to just stand up. Only problem is I forget to stop peeing. At this point I realize my mistake, but it's too late. I stop the flow, but I've already peed down my leg, all over my pants, and all over the floor of the bathroom. I start looking all around for the bee though because at that moment avoiding a sting was my priority. I look all in the toilet - can't find it. Raise the back cover - can't find it. Look all around the base of the toilet and behind it - can't find it. Turn on the vent - can't find it. Turn off and on the light - can't find it. So I start listening to see if I can hone in on where the buzzing is coming from. It's coming from closer to the door. I listen more closely and realize (to my embarrassment) that the buzzing I hear is Justin using the weed-eater outside our bathroom along the side of the house. (Slap forehead. Doh!) I finish my business in the bathroom. Now I had to add to my 'to-do' list: take a shower, wash another load of clothes, and clean my bathroom floor. I found it humorous. And I can still say that I have never been stung by a bee!! :)

No comments: