Monday, March 26, 2012

Telling our family

I thought I would take a couple days to give everyone a quick update on all that has happened with the baby between December and now. I know some of you may not know the whole story, so I'm just going to start at the beginning.

We found out we were going to have a baby on December 20, 2011. I took a pregnancy test at home and was beside myself. I couldn't keep my shock and surprise to myself, so I called Justin at work and told him the news. Looking back on it, I wish I had waited until he got home so I could have told him in person. There was no was I was going to be able to keep that secret to myself all day though!!

Test #1

Test #2


We found out 2 days before we started Christmas celebrations with our families. Between the 2 families and all extended family, we have 7 Christmas celebrations every year. We thought it would be the perfect time to share the news with everyone in one place at one time!! I know there is the superstition to wait until the first trimester is over before telling anyone. We're not superstitious people, and we figured if a miscarriage were to happen...everyone would find out anyway and we'd like to have all that support.

Our first celebration was with my Dad's side. We bought onesies for my Mom, Dad, Brother, Sister, and future Brother-in-law and took them with us. We told my family, grandparents, aunt/uncle/cousins that we had an early Christmas present for my immediate family. My Mom and Sister got it first and began screaming. They were all thrilled. This will be the first grand baby for my parents and first great grand baby for my grandparents.

Mom and Kathryn opening their surprises

Dad and Sau opening their surprises

Hugs from Mom and Kathryn, and Nana's beside herself!!

Dad and Pappy hugging Justin

Mom hugging Justin

Mom excited with her surprise, Kathryn hugging Justin

Dad hugging me and not wanting to let go :)

Kathryn still excited and Mom crying


Our next celebration was with Justin's Mom's side on Christmas Eve. We did the same thing and bought onesies for Justin's Mom, Dad, Sister, and Brother-in-law. They were really excited too. It's also the first grand baby for Justin's parents, and the 3rd great grand baby for his grandparents. All extended family was gathered around and got to celebrate with us as well. I think they were more shocked than anything. We have been asked about a million times when we're going to have a baby on that side and we always play it off that it would be a while. No one had a clue it was coming.

Justin's family opening their surprises

Justin's Mom hugging him

Justin's Mom hugging me

Aunt Kay hugging me

Carl and Sherry hugging each other - excited they're going to be Grandparents

Telling Grandma and Honey. Grandma laughed at us when we told her, guess she thought it was a joke. :)

Carl with his surprise

My in-laws excited about our surprise

Carl giving Justin a hug

Allen and Jenn excited to be an Aunt and Uncle again


My Brother was not able to make our first Christmas celebration, so we got to tell him on Christmas morning at my parent's house. He thought the onesie was for his dog, Buddy. We had to explain it to him, then he was excited too. We went to my Mom's side for lunch that day and let my Mom tell that side of the family because she was so excited to let everyone know she's going to be a Grandma!! They were all excited as well.

Justin's Dad's side did not meet for Christmas until mid-January. We weren't going to be able to keep it in that long and didn't want any feelings hurt, so we took his Grandmother out to dinner and told her the great news. She's thrilled to have another baby in the family. We then made an announcement and sent it out to that side of the family and all our friends.

Here's the announcement we sent:


We were 5 weeks along when we found out. Next post will be about our first appointment with the doctor at 8 weeks and the first sonogram!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this! I know I said it at Xmas and after but CONGRATS!! Love you guys!

Perfectly Jenn said...

Still so excited to be an Aunt!!!