Thursday, August 12, 2010

Back to Work


This one is in honor of going back to work tomorrow. Summer is officially over. :( I am excited to start the year though. It will be an interesting and challenging year at a new school, but I'm ready! Bring on High School!!









My second year working for Garland ISD, I went to an unnamed high school one day a week. (No it was not South Garland this particular year.) I had met the principals and some of the staff my first day over there and everyone was very pleasant. 





One day I was there by myself...the nurse assigned to the school was out at another school helping out with screening this particular day. No problem...she had student clinic aides that knew where everything was if I couldn't locate something. At some point in the morning, the SRO (school resource officer) came in and asked where the nurse was. I told him that the building nurse was out, but that I was a nurse and asked if I could help him with anything. He became very angry and started lecturing me about how it is against the law to impersonate a nurse. He went on to tell me I could face jail time if I continued to play games with him. I told him I really am a nurse and showed him my badge. He still didn't believe me so I told him to ask the student that was in the clinic during that period helping out. The student confirmed that I was the nurse in charge that day. The officer started getting onto the student and told him that he could be arrested for helping me to impersonate a nurse. About this time, I guess he had enough of our 'stories' so he told us both we needed to go to the principal's office with him. The student and I gladly got up and followed him. The principal quickly identified me to the officer as a NURSE and not a STUDENT. I'm sure the officer was embarrassed, but he didn't even offer an apology for his rudeness or interrupting my work. He just said "Oh" and walked away. 





A lot of my co-workers and other nurses in the district found this very funny...I did too afterward. I'm just hoping that I look a little more grown up than I did 2 years ago and don't blend in quite as much with my students this year. :)





(For the record...not long after this incident took place, the officer was reassigned to another school. Not because of what happened with me...something else happened. Last I heard, he is no longer a SRO.)

No comments: