Friday, August 20, 2010

1 year gluten free!!!

In honor of today being a year since I decided to start eating gluten free...I thought I'd share something that happened within the past month that has to do with eating this way.



I went out to dinner with my mom, my brother, and my sister one night. We went to Johnny Carino's...and no, I was still not allowed to mix up the herbs in the oil. :) Carino's has a gluten free menu that is full of things on their regular menu but it tells you how to order it so you don't get any flour on your chicken, croutons on your salad, etc. I ordered a salad and soup. I requested the salad not have croutons on it. Our waitress brings it out, no problem. I then order the soup and request no croutons on the soup as well (potato soup). The waitress says, "What, are you allergic to bread or something?" I said, "Yes." She then says, "Well that's too bad because we have some really good croutons." I'm used to these type comments...dealt with many questions over the past year and strong opinions that how I eat is ridiculous. I have just accepted it. I know people don't understand it, but my body just does not tolerate gluten and I feel better eating gluten free. It's not like I'm pushing it off on others to eat...I even cook 2 completely different dinners from time to time so my husband is not forced to eat what I eat. So I really don't have a problem with it anymore...at first I took offense to it, but I now realize that people don't like things that are different and that's ok. My brother, however, is not used to it...he started asking me why I didn't say something back to her. I explained it to him and he understood. He then asks, "Do you like to breathe?" I said, "Yes." He said, "Well too bad because we're all out of oxygen." We all started laughing and the scenarios got crazier and crazier. It ended up being comical how the waitress had approached me earlier.

No comments: