Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Doctor's Updates

Alyson has now been to 2 doctor's visits since we left the hospital, a lactation consult, and I have been to my doctor once.

 At Alyson's first visit, she was 1 week old and we met the nurse practitioner. She said we have a healthy and happy baby. We mostly had questions that visit about her feedings and were referred to the lactation consultant for more information. When we left the hospital, Alyson's weight had dropped to 7 pounds 14 ounces and at this first visit she was almost back up to her birth weight. She weighed 8 pounds 4 ounces. She took her paci for the first time while waiting for the doctor, so we felt that in itself made it a successful visit!!

I called the lactation consultant the next day to talk to her about some concerns and pain I was having with feedings. She was out of town, but I was able to talk to another nurse on call and she gave me some tips and pointers over the phone. That following weekend was REALLY rough with feeding and I was ready to give up. I had reached my breaking point with it and cried every time I had to feed her. I ended up pushing through it for multiple reasons and I couldn't have done it without Justin's support with each feeding. That Monday I called back to see if I could get an appointment for a lactation consult and I went in last Tuesday morning to meet with the nurse. She was AMAZING and gave me so many tips and pointers. She gave me the confidence and encouragement I needed to keep hanging in there. Feedings have gotten much better and I'm so glad I didn't give up so easily. Nursing my sweet baby has been so rewarding and I know in the long run it's going to be so beneficial to her.

Last Wednesday we took Alyson for her 2 week visit. We got to see her doctor at this visit. She weighed 8 pounds 9 ounces and was 21.5 inches long. It's crazy how much she's changed in the 2 weeks we've had her home from the hospital!! Her doctor checked everything out on her and said she is healthy. She was fighting him when he tried to look in her eyes. He said she's one of the handsiest babies he's seen in a long time and that she's really strong. She is due for her 2nd blood test for her newborn screening. We have an appointment to go this afternoon to have that done. Let's hope Mom survives it...I think I'll have a harder time than Alyson will!!

Last Friday I had an appointment to go back to see my doctor. She said my incision looks great and I'm getting around really well. She was impressed with the progress I've made in the 2 weeks since surgery. I was cleared to drive, so that felt really good!! Not that there is anywhere I need to go...it's just nice knowing I can do it on my own now if I need to and don't have to depend on others to get me anywhere. As of that visit on Friday, I had lost 30 pounds since the last time I had been to visit her the Friday before having Alyson. Breastfeeding really makes the weight come off fast!! I didn't even gain 30 pounds the entire pregnancy and I'm still losing weight, so I guess this pregnancy worked in my favor!! :)

These are all of the updates I have on what doctor's have said over the past couple weeks. Sorry I haven't been posting much...I know some of you check daily to see if there is anything new!! I will try my best to start posting more....even if it's just a picture a day of the baby. I get busy and it completely slips my mind to give an update on here. Hope everyone has been doing well!!

1 comment:

Katanna said...

now don't get to skinny!!!! LOL. love you three !