As I sit here waiting for my phone to do it's thing updating through iTunes, I thought I would give an update on the latest with my headaches since it's been a while since I've blogged. Sorry it's been so long. Between the headaches getting worse and the kids getting spring fever at school, it's been a hectic last couple weeks. Luckily, SPRING BREAK IS HERE!!!! Wahoo!!!
Ok, so I did a follow up with my doctor's nurse practitioner on Tuesday this week. My husband got a new job, which will mean new insurance, so I thought I should get in this week to get a jump start on a new treatment plan in case it doesn't kick in by next week...I'll still have time to get in another appointment before all the switching of insurance takes place. (Congrats to my wonderful husband on the new job!!)
So a couple things took place:
1-
We figured out that what caused my headache to get so much worse after I went for my first appointment was the steroid pack. It also happened with my primary physician not long after the headaches began, and again with the first neurologist I saw. Both of them gave me steroid shots and my headaches became more severe. Not sure why, but for now no more steroids until this headache is under control.
2-
I have been started on a preventive medicine called Topamax. It is an anti-seizure medication, but is commonly used to prevent migraines. It is one of the more "heavy duty" drugs they use for treatment, but at this point I'm willing to try anything. It does take time to build up in my system. I'm starting out at a very low dose and will build up slowly. It will take at least a month to get enough in my system to see if it's even gonna work for me...maybe even longer. I took my 4th dose today and so far the side effects are not that pleasant. They will wear off as I get more in my system, but those around me are finding it somewhat comical for the time being. All side effects I'm experiencing are normal and will just take me getting past the point of getting my body used to it for them to go away. My fingers and toes are tingly and numb from time to time. I'm nauseated around meals and sometimes even forget to eat. And the one that seems to be most amusing is the cognitive issues. I really don't know how to describe them other than to describe my behavior. Yesterday I took my badge off at work and plugged it into my walkie talkie charger. I got halfway to my car and went to take my badge off and realized it wasn't there. I went back to my office to look for it and it took my a while to find it. Didn't even realize what I had done! This morning I set all my medicine out next to my glass of milk while I was warming up my breakfast. I got halfway to work and could not remember if I took my medicine or not. You know sometimes you think you might have, but you're not sure. I really, truly had absolutely no clue. I had to call Justin to have him look on the counter to see if they were there or not. I forget what the name of things are called or lose my train of thought. I'm sure many more amusing stories are to come with all this, so keep checking back!!
3-
The nurse practitioner had called in Ketoprofen prior to me seeing her Tuesday. It's pretty much just a prescription strength Ibuprofen. I had been taking it 3 times a day and didn't really notice much difference until I forgot to take it Tuesday morning. Come to find out it had definitely been helping. For the time being, I will continue to take this 3 times a day until the preventive medicine kicks in, then will slowly taper myself off of it.
4-
Prior to her calling in the Ketoprofen, she had called in Frova. I was cautious of taking it because I'm allergic to a medicine in the same drug class. She said we would talk about it at my next visit and prescribed the other medicine for the time being. Soooo, we talked about Frova at my visit Tuesday. She told me this was a long acting medicine where as Imitrex (what I'm allergic to) is fast acting. She said that many people that are allergic to Imitrex do well on Frova because it takes so long to get in your system. Imitrex is taken at the first sign of a migraine to stop it in it's tracks. Frova is used when you know you get migraines at certain times. For example, if you get migraines with your period...you would take Frova for 2-3 days prior to your period to prevent the migraine. That's just an example of how fast/slow acting each med is. So I told her I was willing to try it, but wanted to do it there in the office. Everything went ok. No neck swelling, no trouble breathing...all was well. I'm now on Frova for a couple more days. It was 8 days in all, not sure how many are left at this point though.
The Frova and Ketoprofen are being used as a bridge right now until the Topamax has time to build up in my system to prevent the headaches and then I'll just use the Ketoprofen or something else if needed if I feel a headache coming on after the cycle has been broken. I'm hopeful and it seems like a wonderful plan to me. I feel like I have parts of life back now. I feel happier most of the time...and crazy at the same time, but that will pass. Haha!! I'm sure a week off relaxing with my family will help too. I know a lot of fun and crazy stories are bound to be coming your way this next week. Forgive me if this or the next few weeks of posts are rambling or don't make sense...believe me...it's the medicine, I'm NOT going nuts!!! Hope everyone has a great weekend!!
No comments:
Post a Comment